Getting Rid Of Gophers, Ground Squirrels & More For 10+ Years
Oakland, located on the California West Coast, is a large, bustling port city. Oakland is diverse, and offers lots of opportunities for its residents to live, learn, and play in. Unfortunately, Oakland is not home to just friendly people, but to many species of bothersome pests. To protect your property from damage caused by critters like moles, meadow voles, ground squirrels, California pocket gophers, rats, and more—partner with the local pest control experts at Smith’s Pest Management. At Smith's, we have the experience, dedication, and modern technology necessary to remove pests from your property and help prevent their return. To learn more about our modern approach to pest control, give Smith’s Pest Management a call today.
3 Problems Gophers Cause In Oakland, CA
Gophers are a type of garden pest that tunnels through the soil and causes many problems for homeowners. Three common issues they cause are listed below.
1. Gophers feed on the roots of plants and grasses. As they burrow through the soil, they cause a lot of damage to gardens, crops, fields, young trees, and lawns.
2. Gopher tunnels can be found just beneath the surface and can travel hundreds of feet deep. Their tunnel system can potentially weaken the ground below your property.
3. The horseshoe like mounds of dirt created by gophers while digging creates a potential hazard for lawn mowers, people, and farm equipment.
To solve your property's gopher problem in the fastest, most effective manner possible, contact the professionals at Smith’s Pest Management. Gophers are a tricky pest to eliminate and require the experience and knowledge of a professional. To learn about our gopher control services, please reach out to us today.
What Is The Difference Between Moles & Voles In Oakland, CA?
Here are some of the main differences between moles and voles:
- Moles are a type of insectivore; voles are a type of rodent.
- The mole’s diet consists of insects, grubs, and earthworms. Voles are vegetarians and feed on the roots and stems of plants.
- Moles have dark velvety fur, a pointed snout, large front feet, and strong claws that they use for digging. Voles look very similar to field mice with short tails and partially hidden, fur-covered ears.
- Moles live their entire lives in the soil. Voles live above the ground in fields, meadows, and tall grasses.
- Voles cause damage by killing plants, making holes in lawns, chewing on tree bark, and making unsightly ruts in the yard. Moles create trails in the soil and mounds of dirt on lawns.
If you ever experience problems with moles or voles on your Oakland property, the professionals at Smith’s Pest Management can help. We provide the services needed to eliminate and control either species. To learn more about our effective mole control or vole control services, contact us today!
How To Identify Ground Squirrel Damage In Oakland, CA
Ground squirrels look very similar to the tree squirrels that you see leaping from tree to tree. Both have large bushy tails, but as their name suggests these squirrels don't live and nest in trees, but rather in holes they create in the ground. Ground squirrels are capable of causing a large amount of damage in a short amount of time.
Ground squirrels create burrows and unsightly holes in the ground. The entry holes they make can become quite large, posing a significant trip and fall hazard and making lawn care difficult. Ground squirrels also cause damage to trees and the exterior of sheds and garages by scraping them while moving dirt and gravel away from them. Additionally, they have the potential to invade gardens and orchards feeding on and destroying crops.
The good news is that when it comes to ground squirrels—they are no match for the professionals at Smith’s Pest Management. Give us a call today to learn more about our innovative ground squirrel control services!
Guide To Avoiding Rats In Oakland, CA
Rats are prolific breeders and a common pest inside of Oakland homes and businesses. Rats can be difficult to guard against, but it is possible to make some changes around your property to make it less attractive to invasive rats. To avoid problems with rats, we want to suggest the following tips:
Remove excess debris from your property that rats can hide in.
Keep locking lids on trash cans and compost bins.
Keep outdoor eating areas clean.
Trim overgrown shrubs, bushes, and tree branches back away from the exterior of your building.
Seal all entry points into your structure.
Partner with Smith’s Pest Management.
If you are experiencing problems with rats, our professionals can provide quick relief with the help of our three-step rodent control process. With the help of our customized management plans, we can ensure that your property's rat infestation will be eliminated! Call us today to learn more.